CINS, IGP&I and TT Club publish joint industry guidelines for the carriage of DVB
- Date: 31/01/2019
Joint industry guidelines for the carriage of Divinylbenzene (DVB) in containers have been published by CINS, the International Group of P&I Clubs and the TT Club.
DVB is a chemical that is prone to polymerization (a form of self-reaction), and – when shipped in bulk – DVB polymerization can cause heat and flammable gas to be generated. The stowage of containers carrying DVB aboard vessels can therefore present a risk of explosion and fire if they are not properly presented for carriage. In response to a series of polymerization incidents arising from the carriage of DVB by sea, in 2018 the IMO approved changes to the way polymerizing substances, such as DVB, are carried, by means of amendments to the IMDG Code. These changes are contained in amendment 39-18 of the IMDG Code, which will be mandatory from 1 January 2020, but may be applied on a voluntary basis from 1 January 2019.
To ensure the safe carriage of DVB in containers before 1 January 2020 when the amended IMDG Code requirements come into force mandatorily, the joint industry guidelines, highlight the practices set out in the IMDG Code amendments and recommend that these are followed now on a voluntary basis.
A copy of the guidelines can be downloaded here.
- Cargo integrity is the adoption of best practice in all aspects of cargo care, through the entire intermodal supply… https://t.co/bHdNODfQWB
- ✅Risk Awareness: CARGO CLAIMS, LNG TANKERS - Use our colour -coded checklist as an aid to risk identification and l… https://t.co/x1CFRzAyny
- ✅What a success! We would like to thank the near 400 attendees of our first Webinar: Fuel Quality - Practical & Leg… https://t.co/KIvzOqOgr1
- A message for our Members from Ulrich Kranich and Charles Fenton (Chairman and CEO, TT Club). We are still here, wo… https://t.co/ZfPFfuDSWJ
- The International Group of P&I Clubs launch the COVID-19 Information Dashboard - Provided by Geollect >… https://t.co/mSgsRlWJxD