The Thomas Miller Robin Travis Scholarship 2016
- Date: 27/10/2016
The UK P&I Club one of the leading shipping protection and indemnity mutual insurers, is pleased to announce that Jan Döhle has been selected as this year's Robin Travis Scholar.
Jan has an MSc in Shipping, Trade and Finance and is qualified as a member of the Institute of chartered ship brokers. He has already gained relevant shipping experience working for a ship operator in Germany and for a short spell with insurance brokers in London.
Upon completion of his scholarship, Jan will be joining Döhle Assekuranzkontor GmbH & Co. KG, in order to further extend his educational and shipping experience.
The Robin Travis scholarship is a flexible programme, tailored to provide a breadth of knowledge and understanding and build on the Scholar's current commercial experience. For the UK Club, it offers a continuing opportunity begin and maintain long term relationships with individuals in the German market.
As this year's Scholar, Jan is spending three months based in Thomas Miller's London office. He will gain an insight on those maritime related businesses in which Thomas Miller is involved and have the opportunity of spending time with other service providers including maritime law firms and brokers.
On the scholarship, Jan comments:
"This programme will provide me with the ideal opportunity to develop technical maritime knowledge. During my time in London, I also aim to build up a strong network of internationally-driven maritime and insurance professionals, who have a passion for the shipping industry."
Robin Travis was a Thomas Miller director who was responsible for Thomas Miller's German business, initially for UK P&I Club and later for the Through Transport (TT) Club. He died suddenly and prematurely in 1991 and the Robin Travis Scholarship was set up in his memory the following year.
- End -
Gareth David / Carolyn Monchouguy / Ed Hooper
Tel: +44 (0) 20 3697 4200
Notes to Editors
The UK P&I Club is a leading provider of P&I insurance and other services to the international shipping community. Established in 1865 the UK P&I Club insures over 225 million tonnes of owned and chartered shipping through its international offices and claims network. 'A' (Stable) rated by Standard & Poor's with free reserves and hybrid capital of $528m the UK P&I Club is renowned for its specialist skills and expertise which ensure 'best in class' underwriting, claims handling and loss prevention services.
The UK P&I Club is managed by Thomas Miller, an independent and international insurance, professional and investment services provider.
Thomas Miller is an independent and international provider of insurance, professional and investment services.
Founded in 1885, Thomas Miller's origins are in the provision of management services to mutual organisations, particularly in the international transport and professional indemnity sectors; where today they manage a large percentage of the foremost insurance mutuals. Thomas Miller also manages insurance facilities for all the self-employed barristers in England & Wales, as well as trustees of pension schemes, patent agents and housing associations.
Principal activities include:
- Management services for transport and professional indemnity insurance mutuals
- Investment and wealth management for institutions and private clients
- Professional services
- Building defects insurance
- London's housing crisis - Is 'smart construction' the answer? Kim Vernau, BLP's CEO, discusses how offsite can help… https://t.co/JCjCkU1gmO
- A highlights video is available from our thought leadership event in Marlow last month with guest speaker… https://t.co/0ShxjAoqn2
- Read the latest update from the Club here: https://t.co/vVJW3DkXfD
- BLP has signed up to the Consumer Code for New Homes which ensures best practice and the highest standards of after… https://t.co/9KFLfc9kuw
- Modern methods of construction are critical in helping to solve the UK housing shortage says BLP's Sam Ferneley at… https://t.co/LhjjFfByjR
- Whitepapers with the main content from BLP's last two thought leadership events, on the value of urban regeneration… https://t.co/fr1BDsWUEL