UK P&I Club redeems $100 million Hybrid bond
- Date: 23/07/2018
- PRA approve UK Club’s plan to redeem Hybrid bond
- Club capital improved by $300 million over the last ten years
- At February 2018, the Club’s Free Reserves stood at $540 million without Hybrid capital
23 July 2018, London – The UK P&I Club (‘the Club’), one of the leading providers of protection and indemnity insurance, announced today the Board agreed to redeem its $100 million hybrid bond following PRA approval.
In July 2008, the Club was the first P&I Club to raise $100 million of new capital in preparation for the introduction of the EU Solvency II directive in 2012. The Hybrid bond was a cost effective way of increasing the Club’s regulatory solvency capital over and above free reserves and allowed greater flexibility in its investment strategy.
The Club’s capital has improved by $300 million over the last 10 years. At the year-end 20th February 2018, the Club was in a strong financial position, with investment returns of 6.1% and good claims experience increasing free reserves to $540 million. The Club can meet its risk appetite for capital both with and without the Hybrid capital.
UK Club Chairman Alan Olivier says: “We have come a long way in the last decade, and now the financial strength of the Club is amongst the best in the industry. Hybrid capital helped the Club to strengthen its capital base to where it stands today at $540 million.
The Club will still hold sufficient capital to retain its indicative “AAA” rating under the Club’s S&P model once Hybrid is redeemed.”
For further details, please contact:
Jonathan Atkins / Alastair Doyle
UKP&I@fourbroadgate.com / +44 (0) 20 3697 4200
Notes to Editors
The UK P&I Club is a leading provider of P&I insurance and other services to the international shipping community. Established in 1869 the UK P&I Club insures over 240 million tonnes of owned and chartered shipping through its international offices and claims network. ‘A (Stable)’ rated by Standard & Poor’s with free reserves of $540m, the UK P&I Club is renowned for its specialist skills and expertise which ensure ‘best in class’ underwriting, claims handling and loss prevention services.
Thomas Miller is an international provider of market leading insurance services.
Founded in 1885, Thomas Miller’s origins are in the provision of management services to mutual organisations, particularly in the international transport and professional indemnity sectors; where today they manage a large percentage of the foremost insurance mutuals. Increasingly Thomas Miller applies its knowledge and expertise to the development of specialist businesses.
Principal activities include:
• Management services for transport and professional indemnity insurance mutuals
• Managing general agency
• Professional services including legal services, claims and captive management
• Investment management for institutions and private clients
- Cargo integrity is the adoption of best practice in all aspects of cargo care, through the entire intermodal supply… https://t.co/bHdNODfQWB
- ✅Risk Awareness: CARGO CLAIMS, LNG TANKERS - Use our colour -coded checklist as an aid to risk identification and l… https://t.co/x1CFRzAyny
- ✅What a success! We would like to thank the near 400 attendees of our first Webinar: Fuel Quality - Practical & Leg… https://t.co/KIvzOqOgr1
- A message for our Members from Ulrich Kranich and Charles Fenton (Chairman and CEO, TT Club). We are still here, wo… https://t.co/ZfPFfuDSWJ