UK P&I CLUB - Low sulphur fuel requirements
- Date: 21/01/2010
- Source: UK P&I Club website
On the 1st January this year the EU implemented its requirement that ships burn fuel of 0.1 per cent sulphur content or less when they are within EU ports or within EU inland waterways.
On the 1st July this requirement will be extended offshore into Emissions Control Areas (ECA) which include the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.
The latest UK Club loss prevention bulletin 671 provides important guidance on the recent ‘Commission Recommendation’ to permit an eight month transitional period for ships which do not have the necessary technical modifications for burning such low sulphur fuels. We encourage all Members to read this bulletin as there are significant restrictions on the application of this transitional period to ships visiting EU ports.
Two other bulletins on this issue have been published since December 2009.
Bulletin 669 provide an overview of the technical and commercial issues that may arise for shipowners and charterers. Bulletin 670 provides clarification from the European Commission in a useful question and answer format.
In the United States, the California Air Resource Board is implementing a corresponding directive on low sulphur fuels with effect from 1st January. Phase II of that directive, imposing stricter levels of sulphur content, is scheduled for 2012.
The US Emissions Control Area would include the entire coastline of the lower 48 states, south-eastern Alaska and the main Hawaiian Islands, extending 200 nautical miles from the coastline.
- Can't decide whether to sell or rent your new property? BLP has you covered either way as our housing warranty insu… https://t.co/czVFSjCrmh
- Last week at the 74th MEPC Summit, the IMO considered a number of matters relating to the 0.5% sulphur cap taking e… https://t.co/MnLbg4JYNI
- The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products is partnering with Circular Ecology & RICS with a seminar on embodie… https://t.co/qaayLNkQjd
- We are just putting the finishing touches to a special edition of ITIC's Wire, which focuses on air charter brokers… https://t.co/cjZRAeL9q9
- Find out more about the history of the Club, our celebrations during 2019 and our plans for a safer tomorrow https://t.co/RPUbhkc4cI
- A M Best reaffirms the Club's A- Rating https://t.co/0hFF07RLzR
- Following a national survey the HomeOwners Alliance spearheads campaign for ‘snagging retention’ so homeowners can… https://t.co/dKwpADXJ51