The UK P&I Club announces shortlist for its 'Investing in a Safer Tomorrow' competition
- Date: 04/02/2019
The UK P&I Club, a leading provider of P&I insurance and other services to the international shipping community, has announced an initial shortlist of ten finalists for its ‘Investing in a Safer Tomorrow’ global maritime competition which coincides with the Club’s 150th anniversary.
The competition has a prize fund of $50,000 and challenges students and those entering the maritime industry to develop innovative, industry-changing ideas with a focus on improving safety at sea.
Having received an impressive 222 entries for stage one of the competition from across the globe, judges have progressed ten entries to stage two, based on criteria such as originality, relevancy and simplicity. A final shortlist of three will be invited to develop their ideas with support from the UK Club.
The three finalists will be flown to the UK in July 2019 to attend the UK P&I Club’s 150th Gala Dinner in London, where they will present a video, whitepaper or presentation for the judging panel. The winning team or individual will receive a prize of $30,000 with second place being awards $15,000 and third place $5,000.
The judging panel consists of:
- Andrew Bardot, CEO International Group
- Angus Frew, Secretary General BIMCO
- Dr Grahaeme Henderson, Vice President, Shipping & Maritime, Shell International Trading and Shipping Company Limited
- Nicholas Inglessis, President Samos Steamship Co
- Masamichi Morooka, President & CEO Yokohama-Kawasaki International Port Corporation
- Knut Ørbeck-Nilssen, CEO of DNV GL
- Esben Poulsson, Chairman of International Chamber of Shipping
- Hugo Wynn-Williams, Chairman of Thomas Miller
Hugo Wynn Williams, Chairman of Thomas Miller, says:
“We have been greatly impressed with the volume, quality and diversity of the entries we received for the competition, which coincides with the 150th anniversary of the Club, and aims to foster new talent and harness the bright minds of tomorrow. The international nature of the competition is reflected in the ten shortlisted entries, with five coming from India, two from Hong Kong and one each from the USA, Singapore and the UK.
“I’m also extremely grateful to the judges for supporting the ‘Investing in a Safer Tomorrow’ competition and giving their time to share our commitment to keep improving safety standards and embrace innovation.”
For further information on the UK P&I ‘Investing in a Safer Tomorrow’ competition please visit: http://150competition.ukpandi.com/
- Houston-based producer & exporter of liquefied natural gas (LNG) Cheniere Ships 1,000th LNG Cargo from U.S. Gulf >… https://t.co/94UdiIDsVe
- TradeWinds: UK P&I and the modern art of loss prevention in shipping - Stuart Edmonston (Loss Prevention Director,… https://t.co/lzIZLTFH85
- With Thomas Miller Connect, you'll find everything you need to manage your insurance policy, all in one place. Cont… https://t.co/IAkvjFY7nF
- Over the past month a novel Coronavirus, which has become known as the Wuhan virus, has been spreading across China… https://t.co/CScJTu7Gjq