ITIC warning for ship managers on unsuitable cargoes
- Date: 27/11/2013
ITIC has warned ship managers of the potentially severe financial implications of nominating unsuitable ships for the carriage of specific cargoes.
In the latest issue of its Claims Review, ITIC cites the case of a commercial ship manager which fixed a ship for a voyage of 4,000 metric tonnes of ammonium nitrate in large bags. This type of cargo had been carried by the manager’s fleet on several occasions, but the cargo had always previously been described as being in loose/bulk condition.
After the ship had loaded about 950 metric tonnes of cargo, port state control came aboard and stopped any further loading, as it was established that the ship had permission to load ammonium nitrate only in loose condition. After checking the position with the owners, the classification society and the flag state, it was confirmed that the ship which had been fixed was not suitable to load the ammonium nitrate in bags.
In order to keep costs to a minimum, the commercial manager fixed a different ship in its managed fleet for the same cargo, with the agreement of the charterers. The charterers then looked for reimbursement of the additional costs to the owners, who in turn held the manager liable. ITIC duly settled this claim on behalf of the manager.
Noting that the claim could have been significantly higher if a suitable substitute vessel had not been available, ITIC says that commercial managers need to be fully aware of all the limitations of ships under their management with regard to the carriage of particular cargoes. It emphasises that they need to pay careful attention to the detailed description of any cargo which they agree to commit their owners to in any charter party fixture.
ITIC Press Release PR0713
- ITIC is managed by Thomas Miller. More details about the club and the services it offers can be found on ITIC’s website at www.itic-insure.com.
|For more information:||Issued by:|
|Charlotte Kirk||Chris Hewer|
|ITIC||Merlin Corporate Communications|
|Tel: +44 (0)20 7338 0150||Tel: +44 (0)1903 50 20 50|
|Fax: +44 (0)20 7338 0151||Fax: +44 (0)1903 50 02 72|
- UKDC specialises in maritime legal costs insurance - in fact it's all we do! Many of our Members come to us for exa… https://t.co/mRTiAmjKaU
- RT @ "Amazing Day At Office!! Pitching and rolling is a part of our job. You should get used to it to be a seafare… https://t.co/L44LmNMLox
- SY Homes latest development in Shrewsbury consists of 20 apartments with 2 stunning Penthouses. There will also be… https://t.co/xg6Jn1G6yG
- The 2019 Rule book is available to download as a PDF. Hard copies of the book will only be mailed out to Members… https://t.co/z2W8JnroJy