ITIC: Ship agents under increasing pressure from telex releases
- Date: 30/03/2012
International Transport Intermediaries Club (ITIC) says that mistakes in arranging so-called ‘telex releases’ are a frequent and growing source of claims against ship agents. ITIC points out that this practice – whereby liner agents frequently have to arrange for cargo to be released against bills of lading surrendered at the port of loading - is risky, as no bill of lading is collected at the discharge port, and misdelivery of cargo frequently results.
In the latest issue of its Claims Review, ITIC cites a recent incident in which two containers, both consigned to the same company, were shipped to a port in the Netherlands. The shipper gave instructions to the load port agent to release one of the containers. This authority was passed to the discharge port agent, who mistakenly released both containers. The consignee never paid for the second container, and the shipper appointed lawyers to pursue recovery from the shipping line of Euro 76,000, the value of the cargo in the second container. The claim was eventually settled, after negotiation, for Euro 66,000, which was claimed from the discharge port agent.
Elsewhere in its Claims Review, ITIC cites a number of other cases involving ship agents, including one where an error on the part of an agent resulted in a fleet operator forfeiting its entitlement to volume discounts from a canal operator totalling approximately $2.7m. Following intervention by ITIC, the claim was eventually settled for $1.2m.
Copies of the ITIC Claims Review can be requested from: firstname.lastname@example.org
ITIC is managed by Thomas Miller. More details about the club and the services it offers can be found on ITIC’s website at www.itic-insure.com.
28 March 2012
ITIC Press Release PR0212
|For more information:||Issued by:|
|Charlotte Kirk||Chris Hewer|
|ITIC||Merlin Corporate Communications|
|Tel: +44 (0)20 7338 0150||Tel: +44 (0)1903 50 20 50|
|Fax: +44 (0)20 7338 0151||Fax: +44 (0)1903 50 02 72|
- Can't decide whether to sell or rent your new property? BLP has you covered either way as our housing warranty insu… https://t.co/czVFSjCrmh
- Last week at the 74th MEPC Summit, the IMO considered a number of matters relating to the 0.5% sulphur cap taking e… https://t.co/MnLbg4JYNI
- The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products is partnering with Circular Ecology & RICS with a seminar on embodie… https://t.co/qaayLNkQjd
- We are just putting the finishing touches to a special edition of ITIC's Wire, which focuses on air charter brokers… https://t.co/cjZRAeL9q9
- Find out more about the history of the Club, our celebrations during 2019 and our plans for a safer tomorrow https://t.co/RPUbhkc4cI
- A M Best reaffirms the Club's A- Rating https://t.co/0hFF07RLzR
- Following a national survey the HomeOwners Alliance spearheads campaign for ‘snagging retention’ so homeowners can… https://t.co/dKwpADXJ51