UK P&I Club and Lloyd's Register launch new ISM & ISPS checklist app
- Date: 04/03/2014
4 March 2014
Lloyd’s Register and the UK P&I Club have updated the hugely popular ILO MLC smartphone app and launched a new ISM & ISPS pocket checklist app
Both apps are free and are available for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
In a fully paperless operation, the apps enable ships’ crews and their managers to view necessary legislative and regulatory requirements, save multiple checklists, check off completed activities, add essential notes and send the completed checklists via email.
LR and the UK P&I Club have analysed ISM, ISPS and ILO MLC reported deficiencies found by Port State Control. Accordingly, the apps have been designed to help counter the risk of Port State Control detentions and help companies comply with the legislative and regulatory requirements. The effective implementation of ISM, ISPS and ILO MLC will protect the fleet’s reputation and help to get the most out of the company’s resources.
Captain Jim Barclay, Lloyd’s Register’s Port State Control specialist said: “After the release of our first smartphone app for the ILO MLC Pocket Checklist we received very good constructive comments from the marine industry which showed that the app was indeed very helpful, however, there was room for improvement by making the app more interactive. We have taken on those comments and this new edition of the ILO MLC app is enhanced by the improvements requested by the marine industry.
“Now, launching another app for ISM/ISPS we can provide further support to benefit both ship and shore based personnel in the course of their duties.“
UK Club Loss Prevention Director Karl Lumbers explained: “Just as the MLC 2006 convention aimed to rationalise the complex previous legislation relating to seafarers, we thought it made sense to simplify the compliance process as much as possible via the guidance of a checklist.
“It would be frustrating for our owners to face detention due to simple teething problems with documentation or other proofs of compliance. Both these smartphone apps should empower the master and senior officers to make their ships compliant, guiding them through the necessary steps and providing an immediate note of what has been implemented and what remains outstanding. ”
Lloyd’s Register and the UK Club have now produced six pocket checklists in a series that address regulatory compliance requirements which have been well received by the marine industry worldwide. For information about other checklists in this series please visit www.webstore.lr.org or www.ukpandi.com
ISM & ISPS
UK P&I Club
Thomas Miller P&I Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7283 4646
Lloyd’s Register Group Limited
Tel: +44 23 8024 9638
- We want to put safety in the hands of everyone. Enter our 150th Anniversary competition - "investing in a safer tom… https://t.co/k8uBLzoQB2
- QLU Spring 2018: LOIs revisited: https://t.co/lK2CVI1UtJ
- Safety in shipping starts with thinkers, creators, disruptors, self-starters, makers, challengers, originators, har… https://t.co/1AeO4Hty6e
- QLU Spring 2018: When will the court stay an English claim on forum non conveniens grounds and set aside an anti-su… https://t.co/OGakB74Gvr
- Boosted by the imminent arrival of Crossrail, the Isle of Dogs is experiencing unprecedented change. New London Arc… https://t.co/WXVzTlo20D
- Big thinking. From people to port. From seafarer wellbeing to a tangible invention. From physical safety to navigat… https://t.co/Ei6bl6i2tG