ITIC puts ship agents on alert over immigration crew scams
- Date: 27/08/2013
ITIC has warned its members about a recent spate of crew scams which threaten to involve unwary ship agents in significant financial loss and exposure to fines and penalties by immigration authorities.
ITIC has issued a number of warnings in the past about ship agents being used by unscrupulous migrant smugglers to move illegal immigrants around the world. The basic pattern is for owners and managers to ask the agent to attend a vessel’s call at a port, and to provide assistance with regard to crew changes. Although the approach is bogus, the agent provides cover for the arrival of the migrants in the country where the ship docks.
The migrants will subsequently disappear and the agent will be left with unpaid hotel bills, as well as the prospect of being asked to pay fines imposed by immigration authorities. In addition, agents may be liable for detention and repatriation costs if the migrants are apprehended.
In a circular to members, ITIC notes that it has recently seen a re-emergence of these immigration crew scams. It reminds all agents to be particularly vigilant when approached by owners or crew managers unknown to them who are requesting a crew change.
ITIC Press Release PR0513
- ITIC is managed by Thomas Miller. More details about the club and the services it offers can be found on ITIC’s website at www.itic-insure.com.
|For more information:||Issued by:|
|Charlotte Kirk||Chris Hewer|
|ITIC||Merlin Corporate Communications|
|Tel: +44 (0)20 7338 0150||Tel: +44 (0)1903 50 20 50|
|Fax: +44 (0)20 7338 0151||Fax: +44 (0)1903 50 02 72|
- London's housing crisis - Is 'smart construction' the answer? Kim Vernau, BLP's CEO, discusses how offsite can help… https://t.co/JCjCkU1gmO
- A highlights video is available from our thought leadership event in Marlow last month with guest speaker… https://t.co/0ShxjAoqn2
- Read the latest update from the Club here: https://t.co/vVJW3DkXfD
- BLP has signed up to the Consumer Code for New Homes which ensures best practice and the highest standards of after… https://t.co/9KFLfc9kuw
- Modern methods of construction are critical in helping to solve the UK housing shortage says BLP's Sam Ferneley at… https://t.co/LhjjFfByjR
- Whitepapers with the main content from BLP's last two thought leadership events, on the value of urban regeneration… https://t.co/fr1BDsWUEL