BLP launches sustainability tool
- Date: 16/06/2010
- Source: BLP website
Butterfly, the new software package, will simplify and improve decision making at the design stage by incorporating for the first time in one tool the life cycle, fabric, embodied and operational energy and carbon metrics as well as a Code for Sustainable Homes calculator. It will be available on-line and will include default building models and a library of optional building elements, assemblies, energy and carbon data that users can select to model specific buildings.
Simon Main, Managing Director of BLP, said Butterfly will represent a leap forward for residential stakeholders and the environment by giving the full picture of whole life cost and value in a carbon context. “This is a significant and radical development for a market place that has for too long been preoccupied with initial capital cost. With this new product we are responding to the need to help the supply chain address the design and construction of low carbon, energy efficient buildings”.
BLP has brought together a project team of academic and industry expert partners to develop the tool including the University of Cambridge’s Centre for Sustainable Development; University College London Energy Institute and Willmott Dixon Housing.
The £1.25m project is part-funded by the Technology Strategy Board. The tool will be fully functional towards the end of 2012.
- London's housing crisis - Is 'smart construction' the answer? Kim Vernau, BLP's CEO, discusses how offsite can help… https://t.co/JCjCkU1gmO
- A highlights video is available from our thought leadership event in Marlow last month with guest speaker… https://t.co/0ShxjAoqn2
- Read the latest update from the Club here: https://t.co/vVJW3DkXfD
- BLP has signed up to the Consumer Code for New Homes which ensures best practice and the highest standards of after… https://t.co/9KFLfc9kuw
- Modern methods of construction are critical in helping to solve the UK housing shortage says BLP's Sam Ferneley at… https://t.co/LhjjFfByjR
- Whitepapers with the main content from BLP's last two thought leadership events, on the value of urban regeneration… https://t.co/fr1BDsWUEL