Underwriting Technician - TT Club
Reports to: Senior Underwriter
The Thomas Miller Group is an independent and international provider of insurance, professional and investment services. TT Club is the leading provider of insurance and related risk management services to the international transport and logistics industry.
TT Club offer insurance for the risks that companies face when transporting goods from A to B. ‘TT’ stands for ‘through transport’ referring to the door-to-door nature of such risks and the ‘Club’ reflects the mutual status of being owned by its Members rather than shareholders.
TT Club specialises in the insurance of liabilities and equipment for multi-modal operators. Customers range from some of the world’s largest shipping lines, busiest ports, biggest freight forwarders and cargo handling terminals, to companies operating a handful of vehicles.
We are looking for an Underwriting Technician to join the TT Club who is either a graduate looking for a career in insurance or who is an experienced Underwriting Technician already and who is looking for a new opportunity.
The main purpose of the Underwriting Technician is to support the Underwriters in the team with technical and administrative back-up in order that they can deliver an excellent service to TT Club members. This role will have a combined liability/cargo support portfolio.
- Be responsible for generating all regular underwriting documentation
- Have a thorough knowledge of all the Underwriting Processes
- Be responsible for allocating general mail to workbaskets
- Maintain accurate data on all Underwriting Systems
- Manage renewal process and detachment process
- Manage file administration
- Have a general understanding of the Underwriting Guidelines and Reinsurance programme
- Have an awareness of the regulatory framework in which the Club operates and the importance of following procedures and maintaining good records
- Be able to navigate the Club’s website
- Have a general awareness of the market and the products offered by the Club
- Understand the structure of the TT Club and how it is managed
- Know what are the key business objectives of the Club
- Take responsibility for ensuring underwriting procedures are followed and check work once it has been completed and before it is sent to the Underwriter for sign off
- Attend audits as required
- Attend Member/broker ‘service’ visits and social functions as required
- Take responsibility for team issues such as lunch time and holiday cover, assist on the work front when there are absences, co-ordinate absence and generally assist with the efficient running of the team
- Be available to train and mentor new staff, as required and agreed in advance
To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the business
- A graduate either working in or looking to work in the insurance industry; or
- An experienced Underwriting Technician already working towards ACII and looking for a new opportunity (experience of marine insurance would be an advantage)
- Excellent IT skills – both bespoke systems and Microsoft etc.
- Knowledge of the marine sector – an advantage
- Understanding/experience of the marine transport market – an advantage
- Good command of the English language – spoken and written
- EMEA market language capability would be a distinct advantage
- Understanding of corporate culture – an advantage
- Awareness of current regulatory environment/compliance issues – an advantage
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Highly motivated and with a can-do attitude
- Customer focused mind set with a good client manner
- Desire and commitment to undertake technical training where relevant
- Excellent communication skills, covering the written and spoken word
- Ability to produce accurate and compliant client work
- Ability to deliver against agreed targets and deadlines
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com