Research & Development Executive
Reports to: Research and Development Manager, BLP Insurance
Direct Reports: None
Working Arrangements: 9 - 5, 5 days a week, office based, with travel to London sites and other UK wide sites as required.
Overall Objective of Role:
- To carry out and provide research and technical support for BLP Consult opportunities.
- Research and development tasks as required to support the technical team and the company to achieve its business objectives.
- Equivalent to academic Research Assistant or Senior Research Assistant grades.
Work with the research and development team to:
- Carry out life cycle cost and carbon fee earning projects.
- Update BLP component data. Durability, service life data, maintenance and costs for existing and new components. Data for operational energy and carbon, embodied energy and carbon, and other metrics.
- Assist with technical risk based assessments for example BOPAS.
- Develop and program concepts, calculations and data for our life cycle cost, carbon and energy models.
- Provide technical support for opportunities, client contact, presentations and publicity.
- Assist with research for internal technical support and external research collaborations.
- Assist in the overall aims of the BLP Consult to promote BLP as a centre of excellence.
- Represent BLP on committees or industry working groups as required.
- Working knowledge of construction good practice: British Standards, Building Regulations, etc.
- Software literate: word processing, spreadsheets, power point.
- Good communication skills: technical writing and spoken and presentational.
- Experience and personal skills in working with a wide range of people.
- Ability to work autonomously on own initiative as well as part of a team.
Desirable skills: Training would be provided
- Programming capability (Excel VBA and R in particular or other languages e.g. Python).
- Research experience, particularly in component and component durability.
- Other areas of knowledge: BIM, data science, building costs, taking off quantities.
Key Skills: Numerate construction based research, construction science.
Additional skills: Carbon and energy calculations, Life cycle costing, Modelling, Sustainability
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include details of your current salary and notice period