Legal Researcher - UK P&I Club
- Date: 12/01/2018
Reports to: Senior Underwriter
Direct reports: None
Based in the London head office of Thomas Miller P&I, this role provides a varied and challenging range of legal, analytical and legal research work, in support of the Club's Legal Director.
- Support the Legal Director in ensuring that the Club's communications and contractual documents are legally effective for the purpose intended.
- Assist the Legal Director in all aspects of their responsibility for decisions on Club cover for Members' contractual liabilities.
- Active involvement in the review and revision to Club rules and bye-laws, under the supervision of the Legal Director.
- Monitoring reporting and advice on legislation affecting ship owners.
- Providing legal analysis and support to the Legal Director and Chief Claims Officer as required.
- Providing research, documentary and administrative support to the Legal Director (if required) before/at the International Group subcommittees on Pollution, Confirmation of Entry, and the Pooling Agreement, and other shipowners' organisations, IMO, etc. as required.
- Risk management – support the Legal Function on the oversight and control of the relevant risks as identified in the UK Club Risk Log.
- Assisting in the exercise of the identified Risk Controls and Mitigating processes listed in the Log, and the oversight and control of the necessary Risk Reporting and Monitoring procedures.
- Assisting the Legal Director to prepare bi-annual reports to the Club’s Risk Officer on developments in respect of these risks.
Skills, qualifications & knowledge:
- Legally qualified (UK or overseas)
- Strong academic background
- Highly developed analytical and research skills
- Strong communication, planning and interpersonal skills
- Motivated, committed and keen to learn.
To apply please send your C.V. and a covering letter to Emma.Brett@thomasmiller.com. Please include details of your current salary and notice period.