IT Application Developer, .Net
- Date: 04/04/2018
Reports to: Head of Business Systems
Working Arrangements: 35 Hours / Monday – Friday
Location: London with occasional travel
The Thomas Miller Group is an independent and international provider of insurance, professional and investment services.
Overall Objective of Role:
We are looking for an experienced application developer who will be responsible for the building, maintaining and supporting of IT systems and service as well as playing a key role in the delivery of the IT Strategy.
The role is within the Application Development Team working on a number of initiatives ranging from policy administration systems to new digital services. The role will initially focus on .NET applications with the aim in time to branch into the delivery of new digital services working with external consultants and suppliers.
At Thomas Miller Application Developers play an important part in making our varied businesses more efficient and helping them provide a better service to their customers. You will be:
- Designing and developing software based solutions on requirements that you have gathered yourself, been supplied with from a third party or from a specification provided to you
- Working with ‘off the shelf' products, modifying it where permitted and integrating it into the existing architecture
- Delivering appropriate solutions that are proportionate to the business need
- Supporting IT systems and other business processes
- Using your technical skills and systems knowledge to diagnose problems and recommend appropriate solutions before they are actioned and released.
- Recommending ideas for system improvements, including cost proposals and benefits
- Working closely with Business Analysts and Technical Architects
- Liaising and communicating with business users
- Producing detailed specifications and writing the program code
- Documenting and recording all changes
- Release changes into the production environment
- Prepare training manuals for users and in some case provide user training
- Maintain production and test environments
- Follow approved IT procedures
- Any other relevant work and projects as required
Technical Skills Specification:
- VB/C# .NET
- WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation),
- WCF (Windows Communication Foundation),
- SOA (Service Orientated Architecture),
- SQL Server
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience and demonstrable capability in delivering browser based applications
- At least 2-3 years relevant commercial experience
- Excellent user interface design and user experience capabilities
- Excellent understanding of software security practices and related risks. Has designed and delivered secured solutions
- A good understanding of IT so you can adapt to new IT products and techniques
- Excellent analytical and problem solving capabilities
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills and business and systems knowledge
- Good communications skills, ability to understand complex problems and explain in both technical and non-technical language
- Be able to work as an individual and as part of a team
- Be able to work to tight deadlines and to expected timescales
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail
- Work in an organised and logical manner.
Ways of Working:
It is the nature of the appointment that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. You are expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises and when tasks occur, which are not specifically covered in this job description. You must be willing to travel within the UK and overseas if required.
Additional duties are to cover unforeseen circumstances or changes in work that are not normally compatible with the regular type of work. If the additional responsibility or task becomes a regular or frequent responsibility, it will be included in the job description in consultation with the post holder.
Keeping up with the rapid pace of change is vital in this role. You'll learn from Technical architects and more senior developers and will go on external courses to keep your professional skills up to date. Your training should focus on programming, systems analysis and software from recognized and accredited providers.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. Please include details of your current salary and notice period.