Infrastructure Support Specialist (SQL)
- Date: 20/06/2017
Reports To: Infrastructure Support Team Lead
Direct Reports: N/A
Working Arrangements: Permanent, Full-Time
Overall Objective of Role:
Responsible for the technical support (2nd / 3rd line) of the IT Infrastructure; resolving issues and requests, raising and resolving problems and implementing small change.
- Accepting, prioritising and resolving incidents within agreed SLA
- Problem management
- To support ServiceDesk engineers in resolving complex issues
- To provide mentoring to ServiceDesk engineers
- To provide support to other IT staff
- To provide project support to the IT Architecture teams as required
- To provide support and administration of the IT Infrastructure
- To assist with testing of IT Business Continuity plans as and when required
- To participate in the delivery of the Infrastructure roadmap
- To provide project support for IT development teams and infrastructure projects as required
- To identify Service Improvement opportunities
- To apply small changes in accordance with change management process
- Manage and maintain entire MS-SQL server infrastructure across all environments: production, UAT and development
- Database backup and recovery with use of native backup and HP Data Protector
- Manage and audit databases security
- Management of disaster recovery solutions (clustering, Always on Availability Group and mirroring - including multi subnet configuration)
- Performance monitoring, tuning and capacity planning with use of native or third party tools (preferably SQL Monitor from Red Gate)
- Maintenance tasks implementation and monitoring (native maintenance plans, Power Shell, T-SQL and SSIS).
- Administration of Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS) and Analytical Services (SSAS)
Technical skills - Essential
- Excellent understanding of current Microsoft SQL server and availability services.
- Excellent understanding of AAG, SSRS, SSIS.
- Server Virtualisation preferably VMware
- Excellent understanding of current Windows Server and Desktop operating systems and Group Policy
- Detailed working knowledge of a broad range of Infrastructure Technologies;
Technical skills – Desirable
- MS CRM 2011/2013
- MS Sharepoint 2010 / 2013
- Citrix technologies specifically XenApp 6.5 or greater
- Good understanding of TCP/IP routing and switching preferably Cisco
Educational background or qualifications (if relevant):
- Technical certification in recent version of MS SQL
- Technical certification in at least 2 of these areas: Vmware, Citrix, Cisco, Microsoft,
- ITIL Foundation or equivalent experience, particularly of Service Operation and Service Transition
- Excellent written, oral, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to explain complex matters succinctly.
- Have the ability to adapt to new concepts and understand vendor systems and architecture.
- Able to present ideas in business and user friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and able to use own initiative. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Be able to work to tight deadlines.
- Good customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate a creative use of technology to deliver innovative solutions.
- Demonstrate good attention to detail.
It is the nature of the appointment that tasks and responsibilities are often unpredictable and varied. The post holder is expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises and when tasks occur which may not be covered in this job description.
Additional duties will normally be to cover unforeseen circumstances or changes in work that are not normally compatible with the regular type of work.
Applications from interested parties are welcomed. If you feel that you may meet the above criteria, please contact Anna McPherson, HR for an initial and confidential discussion.