Claims Execuitve, Professional Indemnity Division
You will be required to work as part of a services orientated team providing an efficient and cost effective service handling claims and complaints against self-employed barristers without significant levels of supervision. You may also be required to perform tasks that assist the management of the businesses division, which may include participation in meetings of Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund Ltd’s board of directors and its sub-committees.
- The defence of professional negligence claims and disciplinary proceedings brought against barristers in private practice.
- With appropriate support and guidance form an informed view on how claims/complaints should be handled in view of the strength of the defence(s) on the available evidence.
- Provide advice to Bar Mutual's insured on the handling of claims or claims or complaints against them.
- Where appropriate negotiate the settlement of claims/complaints within operational guidelines. This includes attending mediations and meetings to settle or contest claims.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and in a timely manner, both in writing and verbally, with Bar Mutual’s insureds, external suppliers, opponents and colleagues.
- Appoint and monitor the performance of external legal and other advisors to ensure the effective management of claims/complaints.
Management of the business
- Provide support in the preparation of agendas for board and committee meetings and prepare minutes as required.
- Attendance at board and committee meetings as required.
- Other tasks as required, including marketing, business development, attendance at external conferences and events.
- Qualified Solicitor / Barrister / Legal Executive with a good academic background - essential.
- Would consider newly qualified or post articles / pupillage / training contact.
- Professional qualification preferred but not essential, depending on experience.
- Litigation experience in defending professional negligence complaints (any profession) would be a definite advantage.
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to play an active role in the business of the division.
- Willingness to assist colleagues and to seek their assistance as may be required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Diplomacy and dedication.
- High level of autonomy and personal responsibility.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. Please include details of your current salary and notice period.