Application Support Specialist, IT
Reports to: Applications Support Manager
Direct Reports: None
Working Arrangements: 5 days, London Office
Overall Objective of Role:
Application developers (or computer programmers) are responsible for the building, maintaining and supporting of IT systems and services. As an application developer you play an important part in making the business more efficient and helping it provide a better service to its customers.
You may be responsible for designing and developing software based solutions on requirements that you have gathered yourself, been supplied with from a third party or from a specification provided to you. You will also work with 'off the shelf' products, modifying them where permitted and integrating them into the existing architecture. You should seek to deliver appropriate solutions that are proportionate to the business needs.
In addition you will be responsible for supporting IT systems and other business processes. You will need to use your technical skills and systems knowledge to diagnose problems and recommend appropriate solutions before they are actioned and released.
All changes to systems must be approved by an appropriate Technical Architect and comply with Quality Control procedures (including Solvency II coordinator).
You will also be responsible for:
- Developing applications using program code, modifying existing systems or product configuration to meet requirements
- Gathering requirements and defining technical solutions
- Reviewing current systems and problems
- Recommending ideas for system improvements, including cost proposals and benefits
- Working closely with Business Analysts, Technical Architects, Quality Assurance team
- Producing detailed specifications
- Unit test programs in controlled, realistic situations before handing over to Quality Assurance Team at the agreed standard
- Document and record all changes
- Release changes into the production environment
- Prepare training manuals for users and in some case provide user training
- Maintain production and test environments
- Follow approved IT procedures
- Liaising and communicating with stakeholders
3+ Years experience.
Relevant personal qualities:
- Have excellent analytical and problems solving capabilities
- Capable of supporting and safely maintaining legacy applications
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn new skills and business and systems knowledge
- Have a good understanding of IT trends and is keen to adapt to new IT products and techniques
- Have good communication skills, ability to understand complex problems and explain in both technical and non-technical language
- Be able to work as an individual and as part of a team
- Be able to work to tight deadlines and to expected timescales
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail
- Work in an organised and logical manner and complies for agreed processes
- Have ability to create and maintain a positive relationship with stakeholders.
- iSeries – RPG, RPG400, RPGILE, CL, DB2/400, SQL
- IBM Development and Release Tools: RDI, RTC
- Reporting Tools: Microsoft SSRS desirable
Educational background or qualifications (if relevant):
Entry level: Degree or equivalent experience or demonstrable capability in delivering browser based applications.
It is the nature of the appointment that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varies. You are expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises and when tasks occur, which are not specifically covered in this job description. You must be willing to travel within the UK and overseas if required.
Additional duties are to cover unforeseen circumstances or changes in work that are not normally compatible with the regular type of work. If the additional responsibilities or task becomes a regular or frequent responsibility, it will be included in the job description in consultation with the post holder.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to anna.McPherson@thomasmiller.com. Please include details of your current salary and notice period.